Function of the Home (Political) Department
The Home (Political) Department is headed by the Chief Secretary, Government of Meghalaya assisted by the Additional Chief Secretary, Commissioner & Secretary, Joint Secretary and Under Secretary. The Chief Minister holds the direct charge of Political Department.
The Department deals mainly with the issues relating to Law & Order in the State. The Department does not have any subordinate ofﬁces under its control.
The following are the main subjects of the Department:
1. Assam-Meghalaya boundary dispute.
2. Matters relating to Preventive Detention under National Security Act, 1980, Meghalaya Preventive Detention Act, 1995 [MPDA]; submission of monthly and quarterly reports of detention and releases made under N.S.A, 1980 and matters related thereto.
3. Compilation of the list of detention of security suspect under Union War Book; Union & State War B00ks,Internal Security.
4. Disturbed Area Armed Forces (Special Power Act), 1958.
6.National Foundation for Communal Harmony.
7. Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration.
8.Observation of Integration Week [Quami Ekta Week]/Anti-Terrorism Day.
10. National Integration Council.
11. Inter State Council.
12. Sarkaria Commission.
13. Matters relating to Visits of President, Vice President and Prime Minister. Visits of Foreign Diplomats/Governors/CMS of other State.
14. Matters relating to construction of Indo Bangladesh border fencing.
15. Matters relating to State Level Public Grievances Committee.
16. Ofﬁcial Language.
17. Essential Services Maintenance Act, 1980/1981.
18. Negotiations with militant groups.
19. Rehabilitation of surrendered and disbanded cadres.
20. Matters relating to complaint/allcgation of corruption against ofﬁcers or government servants, vigilance cases, prosecution sanction (if referred to Political Department).
21. Issue of Vigilance Clearance Certiﬁcate.
22. Law and Order situation in the State.
23 Ex-gratia/ Compensation to (a) persons killed/injured in incident of communal riots (b) families/next of kins of security force personnel killed while performing duties in counter insurgency and terrorism actions.
24. Matters relating to Lokayukta.
25. Matters relating to NHRC/ State Human Rights Commission.
26. Victim Compensation Scheme.
27. Benami Transaction Act and related matters.
28. Security categorization to Central Ministers and other VIPs; Security of Secretariat Building.
29. Communal riots.
30. Medals for Distinguished Services/ Meritorious Services/Gallantry and other national awards and all matters connected therewith.
31. Preparation of Speech for Independenee/Republic Day.
32. Authentication of certiﬁcates/ documents for Visit to foreign countries and related matters.
33. Appointment/Swearing-in ceremony of Governor of Meghalaya.